Obama administration to delay decision on ozone removal

The Environmental Protection Agency is considering delaying the final approval of ozone-removing technology after several lawsuits, including a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The EPA announced Wednesday it would reconsider its decision to approve the Oxygen Management System, or OMS, and the company’s proposed use of the device.

“We’re taking into consideration the public health implications of this technology,” EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy said in a statement.

“We’ll work with the industry to develop guidance that will provide the most appropriate guidance and guidance that we can for this technology.”

The move comes after several years of litigation by the ACLU, which argued the EPA’s approval of the technology in 2015 was flawed and unsafe.

EPA and the U.S. Air Force declined to comment on the OMS proposal.

In October, a judge in Florida agreed with the plaintiffs, but he stayed his decision for at least another year.

The EPA later announced it would not issue an ozone-reduction rule until a new ozone-limiting standard had been finalized.

The ozone-control technology could reduce air pollution by reducing emissions of ozone from cars, trucks and industrial facilities.

The industry has also said it would benefit from the OBS technology, which it says is safer, less polluting and less expensive than existing ozone-purifying equipment.